PASTOR/SHEPHERD - "POIMEN"
Peter ties elder (presbuteros) together with Shepherd when he refers to Jesus as
the chief shepherd (archi-poimen) He calls himself an elder. Note that Jesus
clearly delineated his calling as "Feed my sheep" in John 21:16-17
1 Peter 5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder,
and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory
that shall be revealed: 2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking
the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre,
but of a ready mind; 3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being
examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall
receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
<4166> poimen (poy-mane')
AV-shepherd 15, Shepherd 2, pastor 1; 18
1) a herdsman, esp. a shepherd
1a) he to whose care and control others have committed themselves,
and whose precepts they follow
2a) the presiding officer, manager, director, of any assembly:
so of Christ the Head of the church
2a1) of the overseers of the Christian assemblies
2a2) of kings and princes
The tasks of a Near Eastern shepherd were:
- to watch for enemies trying to attack the sheep -to defend the sheep
from attackers -to heal the wounded and sick sheep -to find and save
lost or trapped sheep -to love them, sharing their lives and so earning
- Matthew 26:31 Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd , and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad.
- Mark 6:34 And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd : and he began to teach them many things.
- Mark 14:27 And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd , and the sheep shall be scattered.
- John 10:2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
- John 10:11 I am the good shepherd : the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
- John 10:12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd , whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
- John 10:14 I am the good shepherd , and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
- John 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd .
- Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
- Hebrews 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
- 1 Peter 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
<750> archipoimen (ar-khee-poy'-mane)
from 746 and 4166; TDNT-6:485,901; n m
AV-chief shepherd 1; 1
1) chief shepherd
1a) of Christ the head of the church